Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 58



Hello America!

Now to the fun stuff. If you think you've had enough of my cooking experiences, well think again. Today you will hear about my ninth and final cooking class at Le Cordon Bleu. I was there at 8:30 am for a light breakfast, mingled with other like minded cooks, and started class at 9:00. This was an all-day class (lunch is served on their patio.) The course was called "A Taste of Provence" and we made, among other things, a tart (pastry lined with red/green peppers with the skins "blistered" off and topped with a cream and herb mixture). It was delicate and so delicious. Here it is with its proud creator smiling at her success!


The other main dish was a stuffed fish. The recipe is not at my fingertips but basically we were handed a huge fish--not trout size--you'll see. We had to scale it, fillet it, cut off its head and get rid of all the guts. The girl next to me couldn't handle it; the chef did most of hers. We wore rubber gloves and there was blood and guts everywhere. You'll see a p;icture of the students lined up with their fish to rinse it off in cold water. The lady across from me seemed so adept and at ease with this task. Later she told me that she's a doctor (from Holland) and this is "right up her alley." Here I am with the chef as he's checking out the fine job I did on this fish.




So we stuffed the fish, prepared some gourmet zucchini mold, made creme brulee and almond cookies. Can you even imagine all of that? It's pretty hard work and especially in a hot kichen. We all have our own stoves/ovens so with 14 students you can imagine how hot it gets.

So after nine classes ranging from pastry to main entrees, I have come to realize that for the French, cooking is a very important part of their life. It takes time to create a delicious meal; it cannot be rushed and be successful. Much emphasis is given to the right sauce, the proper way of presenting a dish and artistic flair is something I see over and over again with each and every chef. I've learned so much and gained a great deal of experience in putting together a first-class meal. Today we learned about garlic--pound it flat with the blade of the knife, cut it in half--so far nothing unusual, right? Now for the fact I'm guessing most of you don't know--you remove the tiny garlic sprout that is encased inside the garlic. Just with the tip of your small knife. It's so very small but next time you cut into a clove of garlic, you'll see what I mean. The chef said it's bitter and not good.


I am sitting in the office at 9:40 pm and it is hotter than blazes! I'm sure if the weather had been like this for any duration during my stay in Paris, I would not be a happy camper. I'm guessing it's about 90 degrees. This brings me closer to a decision that's been looming in the back of my mind and that is a possible move to Bellingham, Washington. My inclination is that I rent a place there for six months, pretty much like I've done in Paris, and then live in my Burbank home for six months. And I don't need to say which months I'd be in Bellingham and which months I'd be in Burbank.

How can it be so light at 10:00 pm.? One of the students from Kansas City, Missouri, said that she and a friend went to a restaurant last night at 7:30 pm and felt so out-of-place. It was bright daylight and the restaurant was practically empty. Paris is a city of late nights and much of this is due to the weather. It certainly has changed my way of living for the past two months.

Enjoy a beautiful day doing whatever makes you happy!

Love, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment