Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 35 - Street Shots










Hello All,

Now that I am without visitors, I'm more or less living like a local. So my inspiration for today's blog is "life around my neighborhood." The top picture is the view out my living room window of the Eiffel Tower. Another picture shows movers lifting furniture into an apartment window which I thought was quite interesting but not surprising since elevators (if the apartment has one) are tiny and barely fit two or three people.

This morning I went to the Carousel de Louvre where I bought my new iPhone. (The inverted pyramid by I.M. Pei is interesting.) I arrived 30 minutes before the Apple store opened, so I found a cafe for coffee. This coke bottle was on display which I had never seen before. Karl Langerfeld's signature appears on the bottle. Why, I don't know! Coke's are expensive in Paris. Converting to US Dollars a coke costs about $4 or $5 almost everywhere.





My plan was to return home by 11:00 am to watch Larry King. That is the only show I get other than news programs. My timing was perfect. I unlocked the apartment door a minute or two before 11:00 am and watched his interview with our president.

This afternoon I visited Musee Nissim de Camondo thanks to the suggestion from Vicki. It was a delightful tour of a living mansion at the turn of the 20th century. The Camondos were an important Jewish family. They founded what would become one of the largest banks in the Ottoman Empire. The brothers came to Paris for business under the reign of Napolean III and settled into two adjoining mansions looking onto the Parc Monceau. This park is just blocks from where I live. In 1910 the property was inherited by Nissim's son, the Comte Moise de Camondo (1860-1935). He had the house demolished and built a new mansion which houses his imporant collection of 18th century furniture and objets d'art. When he died he bequeathed his mansion and collections to the Union Centrales des Arts Decoratifs and stipulated that the new museum be named after his son, Nissim, who died in an air combat during WWI.



Final stop of the day: Monoprix for groceries and a "salad to go" for dinner tonight. Tomorrow is a full day at Le Cordon Bleu so I'll try to get a good night's sleep.

Keep well and happy!

Love, Judy

1 comment: